SHOP TALK: Financial Management Networking Group
February 22 @ 12:00 pm - 1:00 pm$15 for Members / $20 for Nonmembers
Instructor: Merv Antonio
If you are interested in learning more about financial management-related nonprofit work, you are invited to join CNPE for an informal discussion and information sharing group.
Each month we will convene around a topic inherent in the work of nonprofit financial professionals. Participants are encouraged to bring questions, examples and insights related to the topic of the session. In addition to the featured topic discussion, each session will include time to network and ask questions.
Below is a sample of possible topics for each month. The dates and times are listed below.
Bring your lunch, business cards and ideas. If you have any questions about the Financial Management Networking Group, please contact Merv Antonio, Director of Learning, at 502.618.5328 or email@example.com.
Group meets every fourth Thursday of the month from 12-1pm starting on February 22 — except for November, where the date is adjusted due to Thanksgiving.
- February: Characteristics of a Financially Healthy Nonprofit: Overview of governance management, and structural factors that indicate financial strength; review resources available for building effective financial practices.
- Reserves: What are reserves; reserve levels; best practices surrounding reserves; building reserves.
- Annual appropriate operating surpluses….
- March: Banking for nonprofits- Signing cards need updating each year as Executive Board changes, obtaining a line of credit (options), etc. How do I now that I’m paying a market price for my banking services?
- April: Are you compliant for fundraising/solicitation: KY Attorney General # in good standing. Gaming.
- May: Sales & Use Tax: When are nonprofits required to pay sales tax or collect sales tax; what items are taxed and what exclusions are there for nonprofits; exemption application; resources.
- June: Open
- July: New Program Considerations: Business models for new programs
- August: Budgeting and Cash Flow Fully accounting for costs that go into providing a program or service that the grant is funding; how to account for grant costs; how to communicate those costs to funders. Evaluating and forecasting cash flows; options for managing cash flows
- September: Special Events: How to set up events, auctions, etc.; legal implications of games of chance; accounting for these activities including donor acknowledgements
- October: Fiscal Sponsorship: Look at best fit for both parties; memorandum of understanding; sponsorship vs agent relationships
- November: BBB Charity Certification and Benefits of Guidestar
Each session is $15/$20 for members/nonmembers. Sign up for the whole series for $120/$180 for members/nonmembers by emailing Darlene.