The Parklands of Floyds Fork is looking for an energetic professional to support communications, outreach and marketing for The Parklands, one of the largest nonprofit-operated urban park systems in the country. This position is responsible for keeping staff, visitors and the greater Louisville community informed of programs, events and activities in The Parklands using a variety of tools, from onsite signage to print, and electronic communications.
The ideal candidate is a “people person” with excellent analytical and interpersonal skills excited to interact with visitors, donors and other park constituents. The position will report to the Communications Coordinator and will work directly with each Parklands team to ensure clear and accurate information is shared both internally and externally. This is a full-time position, 40 hours per week. Individual must be flexible and willing to work weekend and after hours to provide communications support to visitors and staff during peak visitation hours.
- Support the Communications Coordinator in promotion of all park events, park conditions, closures, openings, and safety messages to the public, staff and partners for all areas of The Parklands.
- Support execution of targeted marketing plans for education, events, facilities, and Memberships
- Update The Parklands and 21st Century Parks websites to provide timely information about The Parklands online.
- Proofread and contribute content for The Parklands blog, e-newsletter and Member Memo.
- Produce and post engaging content to social media platforms, including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube.
- Answer visitor questions from the website and social media channels within 48 hours.
- Answer visitor questions from the main phone line as needed.
- Manage distribution of onsite communications via signage, kiosks, banners, etc.
- Support production of print materials such as brochures, posters, signs, flyers, etc.
- Manage The Parklands participation in community events and festivals as well as neighborhood relationships
- Purchase, inventory and manage branded materials for outreach.
- Ensure full supply of marketing materials are present in high-traffic locations throughout the park.
- Purchase, inventory and manage temporary signs.
- Support maintenance and replacement of permanent signs.
- Gather and negotiate competitive pricing bids with vendors for various projects and establish deadline and delivery instructions.
- Support promotion and execution of fundraising and major park events hosted by The Parklands.
- Support internal communications with employees so that they may provide essential customer service as well as to be able to sell Memberships and the 21CP mission.
- Manage weekly call to keep staff and volunteer ambassadors informed of closures, events and activities.
- Prepare internal and external documents as needed and maintain an organized filing system of paper and electronic documents.
- Support spring, fall and pop-up training to educate and update staff on best practices for visitor interaction
- Provide general administrative support including, but not limited to, filing, copying, proofreading, and assistance in maintaining the graphic design schedule.
- Maintain and archive all graphic materials and assets created and disseminated by The Parklands.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor Degree
- 1-3 years in communications, marketing, outreach or related field
- Excellent communication skills – both written and verbal
- Strong strategic, organizational and proofreading skills
- Knowledge of standard computer applications, such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- Understanding and commitment to The Parklands of Floyds Fork mission
- Detail-oriented self-starter who will represent the organization with professionalism and serve as an ambassador for The Parklands and 21st Century Parks.
- Preferred experience in utilizing standard adobe design software such as Photoshop or InDesign and video editing programs
- Must have own transportation and be able to handle light lifting.
- Communications and Marketing
- Principles of community relations, branding and marketing
- Commitment to the highest level of communications delivery
- Good writing skills and understanding of messaging and audience appropriate communications
- Effectively work with cross-departmental teams to promote the overall Parklands brand as well as market the diversity of amenities and programs under The Parklands umbrella
- Effectively work with community and neighborhood leaders and park users to represent The Parklands of Floyds Fork in any professional setting
- Communicate clearly in written, verbal, and public presentation formats
- Multi-task and prioritize with multiple projects, timelines and interruptions
- Operate a motor vehicle
THE PARKLANDS OF FLOYDS FORK:
The Parklands is a systemic, world-class addition to Louisville’s park system that includes four major parks linked by a park drive, a first-rate urban trail system, and a remarkable water trail, all tracing Floyds Fork, a classic Kentucky stream. 21st Century Parks, a 501(c)3 established in 2004, is responsible for fundraising, land acquisition, construction, operations and maintenance of the new parks system This public/private project is unique in the region and unlike anything currently in development across the country- truly a city- shaping model. This is the largest fully-funded non-profit park system in the nation.
This position will be based out of the Pope Lick Park Administration Building, 20 minutes east of downtown Louisville near Jeffersontown. Duties also require work outdoors and in other park facilities within The Parklands system, as well as occasional work in the 21st Century Parks downtown office.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
This is a full-time position (40 hours per week) with a competitive salary commiserate with experience. Professional development opportunities are also available. The Parklands has a hardworking, fun and energetic work environment. Individual must be flexible and willing to work weekend and after hours to provide communications support to visitors and staff during peak hours. Paid vacation for two weeks; 21st Century Approved Holiday/Sick/Personal Days. Participation in the 21st Century Parks, Inc. Health Insurance Plan. 21st Century Parks, Inc. pays 80% and 70% of the premiums for individual and family coverage, respectively. Short-term & Long-term disability programs. Participation in the 21st Century Parks, Inc 401(k) Plan.
Applications will be accepted until this position is filled (goal Summer 2017). Interested candidates should submit their resume, a cover letter including expected salary, and a list of three references via email to email@example.com with “Communications Specialist Position” in the subject line. A background check will be required for job finalists. Call (502) 584-0350 with questions.