Position reports to the Director of Develop Louisville
Duties and Attributes
The Director of Brightside serves as the key representative of Louisville Metro Government’s efforts to fundraise and engage the community in clean, green, and sustainable efforts while overseeing the budget, staff, and programs that advance this work. Brightside is a public-private partnership led strategically by an appointed board and staffed by Metro Government. The Brightside Director:
- Oversees the Brightside budget, including the Metro Government appropriated annual general fund dollars and all privately raised/donated funds.
- Fundraises all private dollars, which provide primarily for programming; annual fundraising expectation for non-government funds is a minimum $1,000,000 and is achieved through, but not limited to, fundraising events, grant writing, and cultivating large and small gifts from the individuals, businesses, and other groups in the community.
- Manages the staff, daily operations, event logistics, and all basic human resources functions for Brightside, including hiring, performance reviews, and disciplinary actions; in addition to the Director, Brightside currently has four employees plus occasional contractors.
- Directs the organization, planning, and execution for Brightside events, including the Community-Wide Cleanup, the Community-Wide Planting Day, Brightside Bash, Volleyball Classic, and Compost Sale.
- Manages all landscape work that Brightside executes through the year, including the “Brightsite” program, tree planting efforts, daffodil plantings, and special projects; oversees contractors and partners to execute work.
- Staffs the Mayor-appointed Board of Directors of up to 30 community leaders, including managing seven board meetings per year, and working regularly with board members and related constituencies to cultivate relationships and a broad base of support in the private and non-profit sectors for Brightside’ work.
- Acts as the primary liaison between Brightside, Inc. and the Brightside Foundation to ensure clear communication for all programmatic outcomes and to ensure all fundraising efforts are aligned.
- Engages the community in Brightside’s civic-based mission and recruits volunteers to magnify impact.
- As an office within the Department of Develop Louisville in Louisville Forward, the Director works to ensure all Brightside work is in alignment with the Department and Mayoral goals for keeping our community clean, green, and sustainable; Brightside works to tactically implement Develop Louisville’s goals toward improving our built environment.
- Serve as the primary spokesperson with media and community-facing leader for Brightside at all community events, neighborhood meetings, community gatherings, and opportunities to be present to cultivate community support.
CANDIDATE PREFERRED ATTRIBUTES
- Highly organized with good planning skills to manage multiple deadline and funding sources, short-term needs alongside long-term vision.
- Community focused and comfortable with people from all walks of life; a natural relationship builder.
- Exercises excellent interpersonal skills, important to build consensus for ideas and plans, and forge relationships.
- Strong writing skills to prepare media materials, marketing literature, web/social media content, grant applications, and other correspondence.
- Strong public speaking and presentation skills to develop and deliver presentations for stakeholders across all sectors including business, non-profit, government, and members of the community or for all development opportunities.
- Fundraising experience, and you have to like asking people for money for a good cause.
Salary Range: $80,000
Bachelor’s degree + 5 years’ relevant work experience.
Proficiency in Microsoft Word and other commonly used programs.
Strong candidates will possess background in the following: non-profit leadership experience strongly preferred, team management preferred, basic business background, must have experience managing an office budget; demonstrated experience with strategic planning, event planning, and previous success working with multiple and diverse stakeholders. Fundraising and development experience is critical for success in this position.
Must be available to represent city and Brightside at events in a variety of settings outside of normal working hours. Ability to lift up to 20 pounds.
How to Apply: