The Food Literacy Project’s mission is youth transforming their communities through food, farming and the land. Working toward a vision for a healthy and equitable community where people and places thrive since 2006, FLP engages youth, their families, schools and neighbors in hands-on learning and leadership development experiences with farming and fresh foods at outdoor classrooms on Oxmoor Farm and Iroquois Urban Farm, in school gardens, classrooms and kitchens, and through our mobile education garden, Truck Farm. The organization advances a more just and sustainable food system and strengthens communities, positioning youth as drivers of personal and social change. The Food Literacy Project’s values include:
ENERGY: We are bold and inspired by our community.
ROOTS: We are grounded and purposeful, connected with people and dedicated to sustainably
addressing community needs.
DISCOVERY: We embrace the joy of learning by doing.
CULTIVATION: We bring great care to our work and relationships; we nourish growth in our community, and in turn are nourished ourselves.
ABUNDANCE: We leverage our community’s diverse assets to achieve personal and social change.
JUSTICE: We pursue fairness and equity.
This VISTA’s effort will carry forth the work of the previous VISTA member, whose focus on philanthropic investment and resource development helped positioned the Food Literacy Project for a new phase of programmatic growth and development. This growth requires new programmatic resources and tools, as well as new avenues of stakeholder engagement and leadership that the current VISTA will spearhead. The VISTA will cultivate partnerships and expand the organization’s program volunteer base through recruitment, engagement, volunteer training and team building.
- Develop new curriculum and outdoor classroom activities that increase the organization’s capacity to engage the community.
- Recruit and train an ongoing program volunteer team available to support the delivery of hands-on education and youth development programs.
- Represent the Food Literacy Project at community events emphasizing recruitment of program volunteers.
- Cultivate partnerships by representing the Food Literacy Project at community events.
- Train an ongoing program volunteer team available to support the delivery of hands-on education and youth development programs.
Salary Range: < $35,000
- Flexible and adaptable; possesses a solution-oriented approach.
- Demonstrated experience working with a team in complex, emergent work.
- Embraces professional responsibility while able to seek and accept direction.
- Possesses excellent communication (verbal and written) and active listening skills.
- Interest in food systems and food justice issues.
- Be physically able to participate in and lead farm and garden work projects (walking, lifting, kneeling, etc.), and to work outdoors in all weather conditions.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- Must pass criminal background check.
- Experience using a computer and applicable software (i.e. Microsoft Office, Publisher, Photoshop, Databases, etc.); Social media and website experience.
How to Apply:
Follow this link to apply through the AmeriCorps website: https://my.americorps.gov/mp/listing/viewListing.do?id=89756&fromSearch=true
The Food Literacy Project is an Equal Opportunity Employer:
The Food Literacy Project emphasizes diversity in both our programs and our staff, and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, or status as a veteran in accordance with applicable federal laws.