Organization: The mission of Cedar Lake is to offer highly compassionate, capable care for people with intellectual and developmental disabilities so they may experience a life of abundant possibilities. It is a private, non-profit organization that serves the needs of adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities by offering support services and housing. Cedar Lake provides a broad range of services, from Intermediate Care for those with profound intellectual disabilities experiencing intense medical complexities to those living semi-independently in the community. Their mission is met through a variety of avenues extending from care provided 24- hours-a-day in a group home living environment, to in-home services provided on an as-needed basis. Cedar Lake employs more than 475 staff members and operates in nearly 40 locations across Jefferson, Oldham and Henry counties providing assistance to more than 250 individuals annually who come from all over Kentucky.
Position: Reporting to the CEO of Cedar Lake, the Executive Director of the Cedar Lake Foundation serves as the leader of the fundraising arm for this nonprofit organization and is part of the senior leadership team. In partnership with the CEO and with the help of a team of fundraising professionals, the Executive Director is charged with developing, communicating, and executing all strategic philanthropic fundraising initiatives to support Cedar Lake’s mission and programs. The Foundation’s current development strategy encompasses an annual campaign, including major gift solicitations; staff and Board solicitations; program and project sponsorship/underwriting; special event fundraisers and donor/prospect cultivation and stewardship events; corporate/foundation grant requests; planned giving; and donor cultivation and acquisition programs, including the communications and marketing strategies for such.
1. Serves as the leader of the Cedar Lake Foundation team.
2. Develops, executes, and manages the organization’s fund development plan, enhancing and updating the plan as needed, and achieving budgeted goals.
3. Works with Cedar Lake’s CEO to develop a philanthropic fund development strategy to proactively identify, cultivate, solicit, close, and steward a portfolio of major donors.
4. Assists the CEO in managing the CEO’s portfolio of 20-30 key donors and donor prospects.
5. Organizes and manages donor cultivation and stewardship events within the context of the fund development plan created.
6. Recruits, motivates, and manages the volunteer Fund Development Committee.
7. Can create, develop, and grow a comprehensive planned giving program to begin to build a robust file of expectancies for legacy commitments. Inherent in this is a working knowledge of planned giving and the ability to communicate with donors effectively about it.
8. Working with the CEO, Board, Fund Development Committee, and other volunteers, fulfills mutually agreed upon specific number of face to face and/or video conference meetings each week with donors and donor prospects.
9. Appropriately and strategically involves and leverages the skills of the CEO and other senior leaders in key donor visits.
10. Manages key functions and duties of the annual campaign, including the staff campaign and board campaign.
11. Acts as point of contact and liaison for programmatic and project-based sponsors and underwriters.
12. Provides strategic leadership to effectively communicate the mission, goals and accomplishments of the organization to donors, prospective donors, and the broader community, including updating the organization’s promotional materials and developing new philanthropic materials.
13. Ensures ethical and appropriate financial administration of contributed income and following all regulations, policies, laws, and guidelines that impact donations. Adhere to the Association of Fundraising Professional’s (AFP) Code of Ethics.
14. Coordinates plans, maintains regular and ongoing communications, and provides ongoing progress updates with team members, colleagues, and the CEO of Cedar Lake.
15. Acts and creates a work environment consistent with the aspirational culture of Cedar Lake.
16. As needed, makes recommendations as to the definition or redefinition of team member roles and responsibilities of Foundation staff to better achieve objectives of the team.
17. Establishes strong local relationships and integrates into the Louisville area and community – which includes identifying and coordinating organizational and personal participation in area professional and civic groups and organizations.
Salary Range: $75,000 - $100,000
1. Bachelor's degree.
2. Prefer at least eight years of experience in non-profit fund development with a proven track record of success.
3. Demonstrated fundraising experience, especially with major gift solicitation, acquisition and stewardship, including planned giving.
4. Strong written and verbal communication skills with professional presentation, social media, and philanthropic marketing skills in particular.
5. Understanding of the nature and purpose of Cedar Lake and the Cedar Lake Foundation and a strong commitment to the Cedar Lake mission and culture.
6. Experience working with volunteers (Board level preferred).
7. Experience working with Donor Relationship Management databases.
8. Proficient use of Microsoft Office, particularly Word and Excel.
9. Ability to work occasional weekends and evenings.
10. Ability to relate effectively to diverse groups of people from all social and economic segments of the community; track-record of building authentic, constructive relationships with others.
1. Strong leadership and management skills
2. Ability to cultivate, solicit and close gifts
3. Comfortable opening up doors to new opportunities
4. Innovative and strategic thinker
5. Can provide unique cutting-edge solutions to emerging fundraising challenges
6. Commitment to best practices in fund raising administration
7. Integrity - honors donor intent and confidentiality
How to Apply:
Submit a resume and cover letter to HR@ashleyrountree.com. Please be sure to put “CLFED” in the subject line.
Rick Cartor, Ph.D.,
Ashley|Rountree and Associates
2525 Nelson Miller Parkway, Suite 106 Louisville, KY 40223
No phone calls, please.
An Equal Opportunity Employer