The Collections Manager is primarily responsible for the care and management of the Museum’s object and archival collections in accordance with accepted Museum standards.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
· Develops comprehensive system to organize and maintain the permanent collection then prepare objects and archives to be accessible for informational technology use.
· Maintains collections documentation through donor files, accession register, computer catalog, research files, and the Museum’s web site.
· Conduct collection research in support of cataloging, exhibitions, and research requests.
· Works with the Director of Curatorial & Educational Affairs on policies and procedures, establishing and maintaining relationships with collections donors and supporters and recommending acquisitions & deaccessions to the Museum’s internal collections committee and Board of Directors.
· Management of all conservation issues, collections storage and security and collections loans.
· Works with the Creative Director on artifact selection and interpretation for Museum exhibits.
· Manages the Museum’s collections internship program and assists in the daily management of other team members that work on collections projects.
· Other duties as assigned
- This position has no direct supervisory responsibilities at this time.
· Monday – Friday 8:30 AM – 5 PM
· Mandatory work the week leading up to and the weekend of the Kentucky Derby.
Salary Range: $35,000 - $50,000
- MA in History, Public History, Art History, or Museum Studies; BA with relevant experience will also be considered.
- Knowledge of and/or training in proper Museum cataloging methods
- Knowledge of and/or training in proper registrarial methods including, but not limited to executing and maintaining gift and loan agreements, maintaining donor and accession files, proper packing and shipping of Museum artifacts and dealing with insurance issues
- Ability to conduct research in support of Museum exhibitions
- Experience working with Past Perfect Collections Management software
- Familiarity with the processes involved in maintaining online collections
- Experience working with the Microsoft Office suite including Word, Excel, Outlook and Access
- Ability to work effectively alone and as the member of a larger team
How to Apply:
To apply for this opportunity, please send your resume to email@example.com.No phone calls, please.