Job Description: Academic Coach
The focus of the Academic Coach is to work with participants of Family Scholar House to support and assist them with attainment of their educational goals and support the mission and work of Family Scholar House, Inc
- 70% Provide and coordinate services for students concerning academic and career choices, goals, and objectives. Each residential participant will receive a minimum of two academic advising sessions per month. Pre-residential and post-program participants will be provided with academic advising as requested. Advising sessions will include assistance with orientation to the academic component of Family Scholar House’s program, matriculation at their respective colleges and universities, connection to financial aid and scholarship resources in the community, career interest assessment, and connection to tutoring opportunities as needed for student remediation. Work with the students’ colleges, universities and individual instructors to support classroom coursework and monitor student progress toward educational goals. Staff member will periodically prepare reports of a confidential nature concerning student performance to share with the VP, Programs & Services and appropriate staff.
- 15% Maintain up-to-date academic records and case notes on all Family Scholar House participants and provide reports culled from this information to share with the Vice President, Programs & Services, Family Scholar House staff, the Program Committee and the Board of Directors. Enter data monthly into SISTR program.
- 10% Maintain knowledge of community educational resources including the admissions, financial aid, registration, and related academic processes at the institutions attended by Family Scholar House participants. Attend relevant trainings to acquire new skills and enhance the academic advising program. Share information about Family Scholar House and support referral relationships with the community through presentations, tabling events and informational sessions with other community organizations.
- 5% Other duties as assigned.
- Baccalaureate degree in Humanities, Guidance and Counseling, College Personnel, Education or a related field. Master’s degree preferred.
- Valid Driver’s license.
- Previous experience with Microsoft Word, Excel, and Access type databases.
- Knowledge of and ability to utilize the Internet and e-mail.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills and strong organizational skills.
This is a part-time position.
Resume and/or inquiries need to be sent to Kristie Adams at email@example.com