Reports To:Director of Marketing and Communications
Department:Marketing & Communications
About Actors Theatre of Louisville:
Actors Theatre of Louisville, the Tony-Award winning State Theatre of Kentucky, seeks qualified and passionate applicants for the position of Public Relations Manager.
Under the leadership of Artistic Director Les Waters and Managing Director Kevin E. Moore, Actors Theatre serves to unlock human potential, build community and enrich quality of life by engaging people in theatre that reflects the wonder and complexity of our time.
Actors Theatre presents almost 350 performances annually across three theatres and delivers a broad range of programming impacting local and national audiences with a particular focus on new play development influencing the field of American theatre. Programs include classical repertory and contemporary work through the Brown-Forman Series, holiday favorites cherished as annual traditions, the Humana Festival of New American Plays influencing the canon of American theatre, an Education program where students see and make plays, and a theatre training program, the Professional Training Company.
Actors Theatre seeks to create brave space where it is safe to be who you are and diverse identities, ideas, cultures and opinions are cultivated because we believe the diversity of our community is a defining strength. We are committed to diversity in all areas of our work, including the plays we produce, casting, marketing and community engagement efforts, education programs, recruitment of staff and volunteers, and the composition of the Board of Directors. People of color and members of underrepresented communities are invited and encouraged to apply.
Summary of Position:
The Public Relations Manager will play a key role in nurturing and cultivating strong industry and media networks, and developing brand awareness and messaging that supports Actors Theatre’s mission and business goals through broad-based multimedia, social media and communication strategic planning and execution.
The Essential Functions include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Provides public relations and communications expertise to support all of Actors Theatre’s productions, events, programs, and general brand awareness.
- Develops and executes local, regional and national press strategies to attain high profile coverage and visibility to support sales and various programming efforts.
- Cultivates and maintains positive relationships with local, regional, national and international print and broadcast representatives and publications.
- Arranges and facilitates interviews with staff and guest artists, including actors, playwrights, directors and designers.
- Responds to information requests in an accurate, timely and professional manner.
- Coordinates and oversees video production for various internal and external projects.
- Creates and maintains press release schedule (preparation and distribution).
- Writes all press releases and media alerts.
- Maintains media contact list.
- Coordinates critic’s attendance on opening nights and other special events.
- Prepares necessary materials for critic/press.
- Maintains historical records of reviews and other articles.
- Serves as staff liaison with photographers and press requesting photo sessions.
- Schedules, attends and supervises all production photos calls and special event photography.
- Plans strategy, creation, and execution of all social media activities.
- Creates and maintains social content calendar.
- Actively engages with other internal departments to cultivate content creation opportunities for social media and editorial.
- Works in tandem with the Marketing Manager to create and produce promotional content.
- Maintains and monitors calendar of awards and special publication issues for which Actors Theatre and/or staff members can be submitted
- Handles public information requests and respond to patron feedback and comments.
- Manages copywriting, compilation and proofing of select marketing materials.
- Facilitates additional editing and copywriting projects as assigned.
- Assists with special events throughout the mainstage season and during the Humana Festival weekends.
- Coordinates and disseminates weekly and monthly reports to reflect public relations efforts.
- Supervises and mentors Apprentice interns.
- Performs other duties as assigned by Director of Marketing and Communications.
- Bachelor’s Degree in related field.
- Minimum of three (3) years’ experience as a public relations professional or related field.
- Experience working with photographers, videographers or production companies a plus.
- Strong user of standard computer applications, such as Access, Word, Excel, Outlook and OneNote. Experience with Tessitura or similar ticketing software will be an advantage.
- Willingness to work flexible schedule, including some evenings, weekends and travel as needed.
- An appreciation for professional live theatre.
- A genuine interest in and knowledge of the Theatre with a commitment to the organization’s Equity, Diversity and Inclusion work.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Excellent communication skills.
- Demonstrated proficiency in both journalistic and creative writing.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Creative and engaging interpersonal skills.
- Knowledgeable working experience with media monitoring software.
- Ability to work with grace under pressure of multiple deadlines.
- Ability to unite and collaborate with staff, stakeholders, community leaders and vendors.
- Ability to be a positive and influential brand ambassador for Actors Theatre.
Compensation will be competitive with similar positions throughout the Louisville area. The range of benefits includes medical and dental insurance, long-term and short-term disability insurance, paid time off, and a 403(b) retirement plan.
Applicants for this position should email Cover Letter, Resume, Salary Requirements and a minimum of three (3) writing samples by July 14, 2017, to:
Steve Knight, Director of Marketing and Communications
cc: Marie Tull, Human Resources Manager
No calls, please.
Actors Theatre is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, class, religion, and country of origin, political belief, (dis) ability, age, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, or any factor protected by law. Members of underrepresented groups are encouraged to apply.